The US is pushing to keep the US-led blockade of the Suez canal in place while the kingdom embarks on a new round of political talks with Egypt, the US State Department said on Tuesday.
The US is urging Egypt to “take concrete steps” to address concerns raised by the US and other regional countries over the flow of refugees to Egypt, State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert told reporters in Washington.
She said the US would “continue to engage with Egypt on the diplomatic, economic and security issues related to the canal and the economic benefits to both sides”.
The blockade, imposed in response to the unrest in the Sinai Peninsula in 2011, has since become the main irritant between the US ally and the authoritarian regime of President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi.
Egypt is a major transit point for millions of refugees, mostly from the Middle East and Africa, who have been fleeing civil war in Syria and other Middle Eastern countries.
The US has been working with Cairo to try to resolve the problem.
Nauert said the “crisis of the world” was now a regional one.
“This crisis is now in the balance between the United States and Russia,” she said.
We do not want to see an increase in the tensions between Russia and the United State.” “
We are working very closely with Russia to see how we can work together to help resolve this crisis.”
We do not want to see an increase in the tensions between Russia and the United State.”
In September, President Donald Trump urged Russia to help the US, Egypt and other countries with their concerns about the flow in refugees to their countries.
Last month, the Trump administration issued a new travel ban to keep refugees out of the United Sates.